My Little Pony Trading Post  
Go Back   My Little Pony Trading Post > Off Topic Discussion > Friends Discussion
Forums Tutorials Social Groups Site Gallery Member Albums
Friends Discussion This board is for Off Topic (Non-MLP) general discussion. Post your messages here concerning personal news, announcements, opinions, or just have a friendly chat with members..

Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
We are Family Sets

Gallery: 0
Paper cat litter after partial declaw?

NOTE: The partial declaw of my kitten was recommended by the vet due to avoid issues in the future.

Now, for the rest of the info, I know we have some vet people and cat lovers here so I thought I'd ask here before my baby comes home again tomorrow.

I found a baby kitten 6 months ago. Today he was neutered and had two claws from each paw removed. He has extra toes on both paws which fused together into one big toe. Due to the toes being fused the two nails came out in the same place and so my vet recommended that I have those two claws on each paw removed to avoid pain/trouble in the future.

They called earlier and said he came through the surgery fine and was recovering well. They are keeping him over night. When I was talking to them they said I should use paper litter if I could for the next 10 days.

The problem is he won't use paper litter. We have tried yesterdays news and he wouldn't use it. I have also 3 other cats so I can't have some boxes clay and some newspaper/yesterdays news.

If I have to use clay litter will he be ok? I know he will be sore and I want to make things as easy as possible for him to recover and feel better as soon as he can.

Does anyone know if news paper is really required? I will talk more to the vet tomorrow but thought maybe someone would have some tips.
Seirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
@----}--------

no clay litter!!!

it can get into the incisions and cause infection.

there are other alternatives to clay litter... I'm gonna go search down some names for you, bt I wanted to get this post in first

persona @---}---- wishlist @---}---- FSF wishlist
buddafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
@----}--------

Feline Pine, America's best-selling all natural cat litter.

World's Best Cat Litter | Corn Litter For Maximum Odor-Control

Absorption Corp

Swheat Scoop Natural Wheat Litter

you can check at your local pet store to see what they have available, but really anything other than clay litter should be fine - if you go to the petsmart website, a lot of the litters I linked are available there

Old 02-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
80s Glam Rock Pony

Maybe you can take him outside on a leash (or watch him) to go to the bathroom. Of course if he hasn't ever done that before he may not know what to do. Just an idea. That's what I do with my kittens at the moment but I am out in the country. Obviously if you can find a litter that won't harm your cat and that he will use that's the better and easier option.
KittySurprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
We are Family Sets

Thanks for the help! I went to the store and bought some Swheat Scoop and feline pine. I will put one into each box and see if he will use either of them. I am going to attempt to confine him to one room at least for a few days so that he can stay calm and quiet and heal as quickly as possible. I know he won't be happy at all but it will be best for him! I also don't think I am get the other 3 to use a different litter. I have tried them on it before and they refused to use it, even mixed with the current litter.

I called the vet again and they said he is doing great, was up trying to play and had eaten his dinner. The vet tech said he is a gogogo cat and still doesn't want to sleep.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
@----}--------

the longer you can humanely confine him, the better. give him as much time to heal as possible. I'll spare you from the horror stories because you sound like you're on the right track for now

if he absolutely refuses to use the proper litter for his healing period, call your vet back. they may consider keeping light bandages on his feet until he heals to keep his feet protected so you can use the litter he prefers. it would be the lesser of two evils... you can't have him going outside of the litter box, but you have to keep his healing feet out of clay litter.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Hot Rod Pony

yesterday's news, by purina, that's what we used at my vet's office for any declaw's....

it's recycled newspaper

hope your kitty heal's quickly
Old 02-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #8 (permalink)
@----}--------

she said her kitty won't use the yesterday's news :(

that's what we use at my hospital too, and we've never had any problems with it, but it doesn't surprise me that there are kittys out there that don't like it.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
We are Family Sets

I have set up both boxes and will keep him confined in the upstairs room unless we are watching him. He will have plenty of room in there so while he won't be happy it isn't cruel in any way, plus he will have tons of windows to look out of and keep himself occupied!

I do really hate we had to partial declaw him but the vet insisted it was for his own healthy and safety and it was easier as he was younger than wait until he had an issue.

We go and pick him up in about an hour, I will be so happy to have him back home!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Hot Rod Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddafly View Post
she said her kitty won't use the yesterday's news :(

that's what we use at my hospital too, and we've never had any problems with it, but it doesn't surprise me that there are kittys out there that don't like it.
well to be quite honest, it SUCKED to use it for my rabbit lol... it wasn't absorbent enough for that... but I didn't think telling her to use heat pellet's would be the right way to go, though they are soft, wont get in kitty's incisions and is absorbent lol I don't think it's "meant" to be used as litter....

the rest of the stuff I haven't tried be feline pine sounds an AWFUL lot like pine littler for small animal's and I'd assume you wouldn't wanna use that on kitty's who's trying to mend from a declaw but idk, only declaw's I've ever been around were at the hospital and went home within a day of coming in.... hope you find something that works