My Little Pony Trading Post  
Go Back   My Little Pony Trading Post > Marketplace > Trader Help & advice
Forums Tutorials Social Groups Site Gallery Member Albums
Trader Help & advice Need Advice about a particular trade, sale or transaction? Post here amongst friends for advice and support. Questions or problems encountered on ebay can be posted here too. Feedback from the old system can also be found here by searching this forum by member name .

Old 08-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pikabubba

Gallery:
Sending money as "Gift" through paypal : BEWARE: No buyer protection

This is not the recommended way to pay for purchases as there is no buyer protection coverage :

Quote:
Re: Using paypal as "gift" option for purchases

Aug 15, 2009 6:15 PM

The PayPal User Agreement in Section 13. Protection for Buyers explains that the protection applies to purchases... a "gift" payment is not a purchase. Here's the text...

PayPal has two programs to help protect you:
  • PayPal Buyer Protection (for eligible items purchased on eBay)
  • PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy (for all other items purchased on or off eBay)
The dispute reasons can only be Item Not Received (INR) or Significantly Not as Described (SNAD)... obviously both of these require that an item was purchased.

Go here...

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside#pbp-policy

to read the Protection for Buyers Policies.

Quote:

4.2 Receiving Payments for Commercial Transactions and Personal Transactions.

b. If you are selling goods or services, you may not ask the buyer to send you a personal payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept personal payments.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/we...receive-policy

As mentioned- it is advised to not accept gifted payments nor make them since there is no buyer protection.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Flighty Pegasus

Gallery: 0
Thank you for posting this!
It always makes me uncomfortable when sellers want me to send money as a gift because of this very reason. I don't mind for little purchases, but, boy does it make me nervous after a certain point!
Many people probably don't know that, so, thank you for posting it...
Old 08-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Diva Pony

While I understand that paypal fees are a pain, I don't feel comfortable using the gift option for someone I've never bought from.
Besides, they're charging for this now anyway so it doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Thanks to Pop Girl (av!)
divas=<3

Pony Soaps!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
I eat Pinkie Pie. Yum!

Gallery: 25
I think it's perfectly fine if you're familiar with the seller and they have very good feedback.

Thanks for posting!
Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Pikabubba

Gallery:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrocketneko View Post
I think it's perfectly fine if you're familiar with the seller and they have very good feedback.

Thanks for posting!
Many people are ok with this This was mainly for people who aren't familiar with the option, informing them of having no buyer protection in case something goes wrong (which of course I hope things don't go wrong)

As for uncomfortable buyers- you can always let the seller know you're not ok with the gift option, especially as a first time buyer. Many sellers are more than willing to work out another form of payment.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diva Pony

yeah I know... just being conversational lol

Thanks to Pop Girl (av!)
divas=<3

Pony Soaps!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Greek Lady Bird Mint in Egg

Pika was being conversational? LOL thats a first!

Thanks, CC for my beauties!! Oh yeah, she did the avie too.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Pikabubba

Gallery:
Giving this a bump

Old 04-13-2010, 05:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Current Glory Army: 103; Minty Army: 63

i only agree to the gift option if i've dealth with the person before, or if i know they're a good person. i admit, i've asked for the gift option from commisioners for the first half of a custom's payment only because i use that to buy supplies for the custom and i need all of it to cover it. but if something were to happen, i would refund it thrugh another gift payment with no problem. but if i'm selling something, i don't ask for it; you need the protection if you're not comfortable with whoever you're dealing wirth and i know and respect that.

as to the fees for ut now; i just did this the other day and i didn't get hit with any fees. maybe they kick in once you go over a set amount? idk really, just tossing ideas out there...

Kat
Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Whistling Windy Wing

Reading this makes me feel like a meany lol
I ask for the gift option when the price is low but high price I don't ask because I wouldn't use gift myself on a big purchase so I won't ask buyers. I have excellent feedback and active so I don't think its a problem to most that buy from me. I have repeat buyers and they pay with gift but I am ok if buyers don't want to use gift option for the protection of them.

Last edited by lucky; 04-15-2010 at 05:18 PM..
Closed Thread